Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Section 6 - Adoption without Borders

I think the three groups did a really great job with the in-class exercise today. As I said, next week I will meet with each you individually to talk about the proposals, but I already read all of them and did not encounter any big problems. In fact, I am really looking forward to read your papers. As always, here are some links you might find useful if doing further research on this topic. Here you can find Part VII of Ontario's Child and Family Services Act, which regulates adoption in the province. Here is a link to the Adoption Council of Ontario, which provides useful information on the adoption process in Ontario, including intercountry adoption. Here is the full text of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption, here is a short outline of the Convention prepared by the Hague Conference on Private International Law, and here you can find a list of the States that have ratified it.

As I mentioned in class, in 1998 Ontario adopted legislation to implement the Convention. You can find the text of the implementing act, the "Intercountry Adoption Act, 1998", here. For those of you who are interested, here is a list of Ontario licensed international adoption agencies (includes links to some agencies' websites) and Ontario licensees authorized to facilitate adoptions of children from outside Canada, prepared by the Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services. Finally, and although we did not get to discuss this today, here is a link to the "Recommendation Concerning the Application to Refugee Children and other Internationally Displaced Children of the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-Operation in Respect to Intercountry Adoption".

See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment